Read UPSC Daily News Current affairs and Editorial Analysis from Nation’s Top Ranked IAS Coaching center in Bangalore – Vignan IAS Academy
Union Minister for Minority Affairs informed Lok Sabha that the Parsi population in the country went up by 233 since 2013, when the government launched the Jiyo Parsi scheme
- Jiyo Parsi is a Government of India supported scheme to arrest the decline in population of the Parsi Zoroastrian Community in India.
- The scheme comprises of three components: Advocacy Component, Health of the Community Component and Medical Component.
Important Info :
- Status: Parsis (Zoroastrians) are a notified minority community under National Commission of Minorities Act 1992.
- Population: The population of Parsis (Zoroastrians) had declined from 1,14,000 in 1941 to 57,264 in 2011, as per census data.
- Reasons for low population of the community are: Total Fertility Rate, late weddings, voluntary and involuntary childlessness.
Source : Indian Express (Social Issues)
ChildLine India Foundation (CIF) released data compiled for 2018-2019
- Last year, the CHILDLINE helpline 1098 received a total of 62 lakh calls.
- The largest number of phone calls were made to seek intervention for abuse cases (17% of the total cases), followed by those pertaining to child labour (13%), education (12%), runaways (11%) and missing children (11%).
- Under child abuse category, 37% of the complaints were about child marriage, 27% about physical abuse and 13% regarding sexual abuse. The remaining 23% constituted emotional, corporal, domestic and cyber abuse.
- 35% of the sexual abuse cases were committed by neighbours, 25% by strangers and 11% by family members.
Important Info :
CHILDLINE India Foundation (CIF):
- CHILDLINE India Foundation (CIF), an NGO, is the nodal agency appointed by the Ministry of Women and Child Development to manage CHILDLINE helpline 1098 — a free, emergency phone service for children in need of help.
- CHILDLINE India Foundation was formed in 1999. In 2006-07, the Ministry for Women and Child Development (MWCD) granted the exclusive ‘Nodal Mother NGO’ status to CHILDLINE India Foundation in order to set up CHILDLINE services across the country.
- The CHILDLINE 1098 service has received a special mention in the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
Source : The Hindu (Social Issues)
Election Commission of India (ECI) has been awarded ‘Silver’ Award for Excellence in Government Process re-engineering for digital transformation
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has been awarded ‘Silver’ Award for Excellence in Government Process re-engineering for digital transformation for the year 2019-20 from Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG), Government of India
- The award was given to the Election Commission of India (ECI) for the ERO-NET Project.
- ERO-NET is a common database for all States and UTs with data of 91 crore electors. It provides bedrock of electoral roll in providing various web services to Conduct of Elections applications of Election Commission of India.
- ERO-NET standardised forms processing, standard database schema, and a standard template for e-roll printing. It automates the process of electoral roll management starting from elector registration, field verification of electors, decision support system for Electoral registration officers and for providing extensive integrated value-added services.
Source : PIB (Polity & Goverance)
The Fifteenth Finance Commission has constituted a High Level Expert Group on Agriculture Exports
- Composition: The expert group will be chaired by Sanjiv Puri, Chairman and Managing Director, ITC.
- Mandate: To recommend measurable performance incentives for States to encourage agriculture exports as well as to promote crops to enable high import substitution.
- The Committee will submit its recommendations within three months for further consideration of the Commission.
Source : LiveMint (Economy)
Finance Ministry (Government of India) said that the COVID-19 outbreak in China will be considered a ‘force majeure’ situation
- Force majeure is a French term that literally means “greater force.” A ‘force majeure’ situation refers to extraordinary events and circumstances beyond human control.
- It is related to the concept of an act of God, an event for which no party can be held accountable, such as a hurricane or a tornado. Force majeure also encompasses human actions, however, such as armed conflict.
- Force majeure refers to a clause that is included in contracts to remove liability for natural and unavoidable catastrophes that interrupt the expected course of events and restrict participants from fulfilling obligations.
Important Info :
- The declaration of a ‘force majeure’ situation was one of the major demands of industry representatives. The Expenditure Department has now issued an office memorandum to the Secretaries of all Central government Ministries and departments in this regard.
- This would avoid imposition of penalties and other negative consequences on the companies executing government contracts who may be dependent on supplies from affected areas.
- The move provides some relief to companies with central government contracts forced to default on contract obligations due to delays in input shipments from China.
Source : The Hindu (Economy)
Join Best IAS Coaching in Bangalore and crack your UPSC exams in First Attempt
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has redefined ‘pledge’ in the regulatory laws to protect client securities
- SEBI has amended the SEBI (Depositories and Participants) Regulations by including an additional explanation that states that ‘pledge’ would also refer to ‘re-pledge of securities for margin or settlement obligations.’
- Onus of bonafide pledge created from margin account of a stock broker will now lie with the depository following the SEBI amendment.
- This is expected to go a long way in minimising instances where stock brokers misuse client securities by pledging such shares for their own benefit in terms of meeting their margin requirements.
- The most high-profile matter in the recent past was of Karvy Stock Broking in which the Hyderabad-based firm raised funds from entities such as Bajaj Finance, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and IndusInd Bank by pledging client securities.
Source : The Hindu (Economy)
Scientists have proposed the construction of a Northern European Enclosure Dam (NEED)
Scientists have proposed the construction of a Northern European Enclosure Dam (NEED) enclosing all of the North Sea as an extraordinary measure to protect Northern European countries from rising seas as a result of climate change
- The Northern European Enclosure Dam (NEED) is a proposed solution to the problem of rising ocean levels in Northern Europe.
- It would be a megaproject, involving the construction of two massive dams of a combined length of 637 km enclosing all of the North Sea:
- one between France and England, and
- another between Scotland and Norway.
- The concept was conceived by the oceanographers Sjoerd Groeskamp and Joakim Kjellsson.
- According to them, separating the North and Baltic Seas from the Atlantic Ocean may be the “most viable option” to protect Northern Europe against unstoppable sea level rise (SLR).
- The scheme’s authors describe it as “more of a warning than a solution”. As of 2020, the scheme is largely a thought experiment intended to demonstrate the extreme cost of engineered solutions to the effects of climate change.
Source : Indian Express (Geography)
Punjab Cabinet approved ₹650 crore in the first phase for rejuvenation of the highly polluting Buddah Nullah
- Buddah Nullah is a seasonal tributary of Sutlej River in Ludhiana.
- It runs through the Malwa region of Punjab and joins the Satluj at Wajipur Kalan in the Ludhiana district.
- The pollution in the Buddah Nullah is a major threat to public health and environment and the main sources of pollution in the nullah are direct flow of pollutants by industries and dairies.
- Under this plan, an additional sewage treatment plant having a capacity of 275 MLD would be developed to solve the problems of Buddah Nullah and subsequent pollution of the river Satluj.
Source : The Hindu (Geography)
Singapore-based cybersecurity company, around 98% of sensitive credit card details, that have been put up for sale on the dark net, are those of Indian customers
- JS sniffers are a growing concern because they’re so difficult to detect and, even if the code is removed, the attackers can return.
- Most JS sniffer tools work in much the same way as a credit card skimmer. But instead of physically attaching a device to an ATM, a JS sniffer uses a few lines of code injected onto an e-commerce site to skim data that consumers use to buy goods.
Source : The Hindu (Science & Tech)