IIT Bombay has developed a platform named World Wide Help (WWH) which can be used to connect people seeking medical help with helpers, such as doctors
- The WWH platform can be used with an app or a phone. The user simply calls a dedicated number and can input basic data such as the age of the person in need of help and whom they wish to solicit help from. They can supply the phone number, too.
- This is registered as a task in the app and assigned to a primary helper who is a junior doctor or medicare professional. Further, the task may be re-designated by the primary helper to a senior doctor, who is the second level of helper.
Source : The Hindu (Science & Technology)
World Health Organisation (WHO) has released guidelines for Ramadan practices in the context of COVID-19 and advised social distancing and virtual prayer meets
- According to the Bio-medical Waste Management Rules, 2016, a Common Bio-medical Waste Treatment and Disposal Facility (CBWTF) is a set up where biomedical waste generated from member health care facilities is imparted necessary treatment to reduce adverse effects that this waste may pose on human health and environment.
- The treated recyclable waste may finally be sent for disposal in a secured landfill or for recycling.
- Since 1998, the CBWTF as an option for treatment of bio-medical waste also been legally introduced in India.
- There were 154 CBMWTFs in 17 states and Union Territories, according to affidavits filed by their chief secretaries at the National Green Tribunal (NGT) between January and July last year.
Source : Indian Express (Environment)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted Civil Servants and their families and paid tributes to Sardar Patel on Civil Services Day
- When observed? 21st April every year.
- Why 21st April? On this day, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the first batch of probationers at the All India Administrative Service Training School at Metcalfe House, New Delhi in 1947. In his speech he called civil servants as the steel frame of India.
- Objective? To make civil servants re-dedicate themselves to the cause of the citizens and renew their commitment to public service.
- Important Info :
Prime Minister Award for Excellence in Public Administration?
- When presented? On the occasion of civil services day.
- Instituted in? 2006.
- Who are eligible? All officers individually or as group or as organization are eligible.
- Objective? to acknowledge, recognize and reward the extraordinary and innovative work done by District/ organizations of the Central, State Governments.
Source : All India Radio (Polity & Governance)
On the World Creativity and Innovation Day 2020, the United Nations has urged the world to accept that innovation is necessary for harnessing a country’s economic potential
- World Creativity and Innovation Day (WCID) is a global UN day celebrated on April 21 to raise awareness around the importance of creativity and innovation in problem solving with respect to advancing the United Nations sustainable development goals.
- The first World Creativity and Innovation Day was celebrated on April 21, 2018.
Source : Firstpost (Science & Technology)
US President Donald Trump appointed Indian-American Sudarsanam Babu to country’s top science board
- Babu, who is from the prestigious Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), has been appointed as a member of the National Science Board for a six-year term, said the White House.
- Babu would be the third Indian American in this prestigious board. The other two being Sethuraman Panchanathan from the Arizona State University and Suresh V Garimella from University of Vermont.
Source : The Hindu (International Relations)
Researched discovered Lithium in space
Researchers at the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science &Technology have discovered hundreds of Li-rich giant stars indicating that Li is being produced in the stars and accounts for its abundance in the interstellar medium
- They have also associated such Li enhancement with central He-burning stars, also known as red clump giants, thereby opening up new vistas in the evolution of the red giant stars.
- This is an important discovery that will help to eliminate many proposed theories such as planet engulfment or nucleosynthesis during the red giant evolution in which helium at the center is not burning.
Important Info :
- Lithium (Li), is one of the three primordial elements, apart from Hydrogen and Helium (He), produced in the big bang nucleosynthesis (BBN) whose models predict primordial Li abundance (A(Li) ~2.7~dex).
- In general, stars are considered as Li sinks. This means that the original Li, with which stars are born, only gets depleted over stars’ life-time as Li burns at relatively very low temperatures of about 2.5X106 K – a range which is easily encountered in stars.
Source : PIB (Science & Technology)
On April 23, UNESCO will celebrate the 25th edition of World Book and Copyright Day to celebrate literature and promote the enjoyment of books and reading
- Names: World Book Day is also known as World Book and Copyright Day, or International Day of the Book.
- What is it? It is an annual event to promote reading, publishing, and copyright and to celebrate authors, books and illustrators.
- Date of observance: April 23. It is the date on which several prominent authors, William Shakespeare, Miguel Cervantes and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega all died.
- Organized by: The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
- History: It was first celebrated on 23 April 1995.
Source : UN News (Education)
A mobile application named Saiyam has been developed by the Pune Municipal Corporation under Smart Cities Mission to effectively track the home-quarantined citizens and ensure that they are staying in the home
- The Mobile Application has GPS tracking so that whenever quarantined citizens leave their homes, City Administration gets alerted and the local ward or the local police station gets informed, who then visit the family.
- Citizens’ movements can be monitored centrally real-time from the monitoring cell and are marked as Red, Amber or Green.
- Red signifies that the person has ventured out for longer duration; Yellow signifies that the person has limited movements and Green signifies that the person is confined to house limits.
Source : PIB (Health)