Two Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGS) — Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur — were commissioned by Defence Secretary.
- Indian Coast Guard Ship Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur are second and third in the series of five Fast Patrol Vessels.
- While Annie Besant will be based at Chennai, Amrit Kaur will be based at Haldia.
- The ships are fitted with state-of-the-art technology, and navigation equipment, along with Bofors 40/60 guns and 12.7 mm Stabilised Remote Controlled Guns for enhanced fighting efficiency.
- The ships are built indigenously by the Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) Ltd, Kolkata.
Important Info :
- Annie Besant: ICGS Annie Besant has been named in honour of Ms Annie Besant, a theosophist, women’s rights activist and supporter of Indian freedom. She contributed in foundation of Banaras Hindu University (BHU). In 1916, she established the Indian Home Rule League, of which she became President.
- Amrit Kaur: ICGS Amrit Kaur derives her name from Ms Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur who took an active part in Salt Satyagraha and Quit India Movement. She served the Independent India as its first Health Minister. She was the founder member of All India Womens’ Conference and founder President of Indian Council for Child Welfare.
Source : The Hindu