Indian doctors have cautioned against the use of lorcaserin (brand name Belviq or Belviq XR), a weight-loss drug that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently said is linked to a “possible increased risk of cancer.”
- Doctors warn against use of weight-loss drug.
- Lorcaserin, marketed under the brand name Belviq is a weight-loss drug developed by Arena Pharmaceuticals.
- It reduces appetite by activating a type of serotonin receptor in a region of the brain called the hypothalamus, which is known to control appetite.
- Lorcaserin is used long term for weight loss in those who are obese.
- The U.S. FDA requested the drug manufacturer to voluntarily withdraw lorcaserin, after a post-marketing trial with more than 12,000 subjects revealed an increased occurrence of cancer.
Source : The Hindu