Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepali counterpart K P Sharma Oli inaugurated Integrated Check Post (ICP) at Biratnagar.
- Jobgani-Biratnagar international trade point is one of the important trade points between the two countries. Biratnagar is also the third-largest Revenue Collecting Customs Office of Nepal.
- ICP Biratnagar has the facilities for immigration clearance of foreign passengers, export and import cargo handling. It is designed to handle around 500 trucks per day.
- India has traditionally been Nepal’s largest trading partner. Presently, over 65 percent of Nepal’s trade is with India and also over 65 percent of Nepal’s exports are to India.
Important Info :
Integrated Check Posts (ICPs)?
- Facilities: ICPs house all regulatory agencies like Immigration, Customs, border security, etc. together with all support facilities like parking, warehousing, banking, hotels etc. in a single complex.
- Objective: Rationale behind their establishment is to secure the country’s borders while facilitating legitimate trade and commerce.
- Implementing agency: Land Ports Authority of India (LPAI), under Department of Border Management (Ministry of Home Affairs).
Source : All India Radio