Ministry of Environment has notified the new Wetland Conservation Rules.
Salient features of the rules:
- The rules prohibit setting up or expansion of industries and disposal of construction and demolition waste within the wetlands.
- Each state and Union Territory will have to set up an authority that will define strategies for conservation and wise use of wetlands within their jurisdiction.
- The Authority will prepare a list of all wetlands of the State or UT within three months from the date of publication of these rules.
- It will develop a comprehensive list of activities to be regulated and permitted within the notified wetlands and their zone of influence.
- It will also recommend mechanisms for maintenance of ecological character through promotional activities for land within the boundary of notified wetlands.
- The Ministry has also created a web portal for sharing information regarding the implementation of Wetlands Rules where the central government, state governments are required to upload all relevant information and documents pertaining to wetlands in their jurisdiction.
Important Info :
- A wetland is a land area that is saturated with water, either permanently or seasonally, and it takes on the characteristics of a distinct ecosystem.
- The Centre had in September 2019, identified 130 wetlands for priority restoration in the next five years. The highest number of such identified wetlands are in Uttar Pradesh (16) followed by Madhya Pradesh (13), Jammu & Kashmir (12), Gujarat (8), Karnataka (7) and West Bengal (6).