Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 accident happened in the backdrop of geopolitical tensions between Iran and the United States
Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 (PS752):
- Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 (PS752) was a scheduled international passenger flight from Tehran to Kiev operated by Ukraine International Airlines (UIA).
- On 8 January 2020, the Boeing 737-800 operating the route was shot down shortly after takeoff from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport. All 176 passengers and crew were killed.
- It was shot down by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran after mistaking it for a US cruise missile. The incident occurred five days after US president Donald Trump ordered a drone strike that killed Iranian Major General Qasem Soleimani.
Important Info :
- In the aftermath of accident, Iran followed investigatory procedures based on Annex 13 to the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the UN body. These include putting out relevant news and information, initiating forensic identification, protecting crash site evidence and sending initial notifications to countries of the passengers.
- In India, the air accident investigation is governed by the Aircraft (Investigation of Accidents and Incidents) Rules, 2012.
- Black boxes are multi-channel recording solid-state devices. Tiny chips record hundreds of streams of data on parameters that include aircraft performance, the state of other systems and other equipment. Together, the data and cockpit recorders help understand the ‘what’, ‘how’ and ‘why’ of the event.
Source : The Hindu